Tuesday, 3 June 2014
coat! I had the pattern traced for a while but then decided I needed to make summer clothes ahead of season. That was smart. But by time I got to this coat, it was too warm to wear it here. I had the fabric in my stash for a few months but was afraid to sew it because I thought it would be too bulky at seams therefore tough to sew and tough to press. The fabric sewed beautifully though (apart from fraying) and my husband made me a clapper for pressing. I think it is my favourite notion! It creased so well with steam, any fabric! Seriously, I think it is the best gadget and will never sew without it again. The other thing I feared was the print of the fabric. In full yardage you could see the panels running down the fabric. The repeats were about 12" wide and I thought it would transfer to the coat. It didn't! I cut carefully but it wasn't really a big issue once the fabric was all cut up.
I made a size 36 with no alterations. I used rayon bemberg (stash) for lining. Usually I like to use printed funky linings, but with the leopard print I like a solid colour lining. There is just one simple closure on the outside. Burda suggested 2 snaps inside also, but I just wanted to be done and can add them later if necessary. The one closure holds securely now and this coat won't be worn often anyway. Even though I love it!
The dress is Jalie 3024 from last year. It had a flounce on the bottom which I never really liked therefor never wore. Today I cut it off and re hemmed it. Now I really love it and just finished cutting another in a striped fabric. Tomorrow I get to sew.