Monday, 8 April 2013

This is Barbara's Trench, from Silhouette Patterns #1925.  I used a ribbed stretch denim and a cotton/poly blend for the lining.  I made a size 2 and only shortened the sleeves 3 inches I think.  I just cut the length of the bottom, next time I'll know to divide the shortened length between the top and bottom sleeve. 
I was nervous about my fabric choices, the lining mostly.  But I love the weight of the finished coat.  I love all the design elements but I am not 100% satisfied with the back pleat.
After much fiddling with it I find it acceptable.  This coat was not difficult at all.  Peggy Sagers the designer has a webcast just for this pattern which origionally fired me up to make this.  I love the lining, the welt pockets, the sleeve belts and the rain shield.  The worst part was sewing the 18 buttons on at the end. is where you can find the pattern and all the webcasts she has done. 
This coat only took me 1 month to make, it felt much longer.  I was making many knits before this so there was much more detail and precision required for this coat.
 I am looking forward to making some knit dresses now, starting with Butterick 5454